Sunday, June 21, 2009

"3 Oaks" 8x6 oil on linen mounted


The past few days I was invited to participate with a group of nationally recognized artists called the "Fernwood Ten." It's a by invitation only plein air event ending in a gala reception. The proceeds from the sales of the art, which we created at Fernwood Botanical Gardens and surrounding area, help found this non-profit organization. If you're near Niles, Michigan, stopping at this botanical garden is so worth your while. Although we had high winds, thunder storms, --typical dreaded weather for plein air artists, we all were able to create paintings which we were happy with and pleased our audience. Unfortunately I wasn't able to photograph my paintings which all sold at the silent auction but hopefully one of my fellow artists will have and then I'll post them on my blog later this week.
In addition to this plein air event, the Fernwood Ten has sixty paintings on show (& sale) at the Clark Gallery until August. Once the show was hung and I saw all the art work, I was so impressed. My fellow Fernwood Ten artists are truely great artists exhibiting inspiringly compelling paintings.
This painting posted today was dash out quickly before the gala reception last Friday night. I was most interested in the high wires in relation to the low buildings. I hope to paint this again and do it better justice. It's a bit stiff and blocky but I did it this way as notes to myself.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I love the balance of structure in the wires and looseness in the application of paint here. Very cool composition too.
Yay! about the sales and the paint-out. So happy for you!

Dewberry Fine Art said...

Love the wires and poles. they break up the composition nicely. congrats on the invitational.