Wednesday, December 16, 2009

work in-progress Oil 30"x40"


Today is once again in the negative wind-chill so I'm not plein air painting. Last year I decided it had to be at least 20 degrees for me to plein air paint. Actually, I'm having so much fun in my studio and at the Palette and Chisel Fine Art, painting in Chicago winter isn't as tempting as it has been in the past few years. Although I do love a cold gray day were the air is so chilled it looks almost silver. Now that's a good winter plein air day for me.
This painting is something I'm almost finished with in my studio. My source is part of a plein air study I did this fall and lots of imagination on my part. I think I'm too old to try to climb trees but this would have been a perfect one if I was ten.
Yesterday someone said to me that there are so few really great and inspiring artists. I have to emphatically disagree. I think we live in a time where there are so many wonderful and extremely talented living (and past)artists. The following is just some of my favorites -
David Leffel
Henri Fantin-Latour
Scott Tallman Powers
Clayton Beck
Karen Phipps
John Singer Sargent
Rembrandt
Jeff Legg
I like these artists because they just are not excellent with the mechanics of paint but their paintings move me and show much more than a copy of life.

10 comments:

Melinda said...

Wow, Susan, this painting is wonderful. And, you've got quite a large painting here. You have captured the sense of cold and iciness really, really well.

There are so many excellent artists out there and it is so good to be able to view their work online--a virtual library that always inspires, yes?

Keep having fun!!

SamArtDog said...

Love your trees, Susan! Big and beautiful. Your Nov.7th post, "Blaze", was also a favorite of mine.

Honor Bradley said...

Love your painting. It evokes memories of fall.

susan hong-sammons said...

Hello Melinda, Sam, and Honor, I'm so glad to hear that my painting moves you in such a positive way. I'll keep plugging away at it and hope to have it soon finished.

Karen said...

I love the painting too...and yes, it's HUGE! Shows me a perspective I often miss as I look around, and _that_ is something that I consider Great art.

p.s. I laughed out loud when I saw you put my name in that list. I'm humbled...and you know how much I appreciate your support and honest crits.

p.p.s how about if it's 18 degrees??? 17???

susan hong-sammons said...

Hey Karen, yeah it's my new favorite size because it really is just a larger version of a 9"x12", sort of.
no, nothing below 25 (well, maybe if it's really gray and silvery cold)
and love those still life and plein air. I know you really pour your heart and soul into getting them just right but you manage to make them look un-mechanical.

Karen said...

hey wait a minute! you said 20!

susan hong-sammons said...

(karen) darn, you weren't suppose to notice that.
And besides Ms. I'll be lounging in the sun for the next few weeks

docmoreau said...

Climbing trees is what we used to do as children. As an eight-year-old I became part of the canopy. Basked in the rustling leaves, discovered nesting birds, read books in my secret place where no one would think to look for me. My only challenge: the decent.

susan hong-sammons said...

Hi David, I remember having the same problem but would push myself down knowing if I didn't my big brother would tease me about being a chicken.
Happy New Year. Enjoy your coffee blend, nice and strong