Tuesday, November 17, 2009

9"x12" oil on linen mounted on hardboard


I set up this still life with the opposite intent of the previous posting. I used dramatic lighting with definite shadow and lit areas and placed most of my objects in the light except for one apple. Also, after painting several still lifes with minimal color and in the lighter end of the gray scale, I was after a louder and more dramatic idea. Besides using the contrast of shadow and light to create my "loud-er" still life, I thought if I placed color notes which sit close together on the color wheel I'd get more zing, a "hey look at me," which is why I used my favorite piece of copper with the red delicious apples. Placing the green grapes (so hard to paint) behind was my neutral and transition into the background space.
Still looking at David Leffel, Jeff Legg, Henri Fantin-Latour, and my new addition this week - Morandi. Teaching gets me back into still life painting because it's a great way to study all those juicy art issues in the comfort of my studio. But I am missing the great outdoors particularly since we're now blanketed in heavy gray skies. Once I finish painting for my January show I'll be back to plein air painting.

7 comments:

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

I enjoy reading how you made your color and placement decisions. Having the solid red tones out front and more translucent green in the background definitely gives you drama!

susan hong-sammons said...

Hi Deborah, Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. It's nice to know other artists thoughts about something I've done.
I'd rather paint red or black grapes but I agree with you, that it had to be the green grapes.

Alex Perez pintor contemporaneo said...

Susan, thank you for visit my
blog and for your comment, your work is wonderful.
regards
Alex

susan hong-sammons said...

Hi Alex, Thanks for stopping by. I very much enjoy your blog and Ytube videos. Happy Painting!!!

loriann signori said...

BEEEEEEAutiful!!!!! Your use of the color wheel to determine a more analogous color choice in the still life objects is dramatically spotlighted by that gorgeous light blue foreground...mmmmmmmmmm! Love it!

susan hong-sammons said...

That's the word I was looking for, analogous. Thanks Loriann

Jill Berry said...

Yes, thanks for sharing
your thought process...
and your resources...
you are teaching us
in the process.

Also- the tip on the b-day girl, was fun info.