Thursday, February 25, 2010

My first painting of cactus.






I never finished this painting because I kept having to scrape away my starts. My values were too dark. I was surprised at how much lighter on the gray sky I need to work. I think in the end I'm fairly happy with my value study.


Notice the blue skies. After painting in Sedona we headed to Scottsdale area, left our winter gear in the hotel and worked on painting light-filled paintings.






These foggy photos means still in Sedona. I was going to paint a vista view of this huge ridge of mountains way in the distance but the fog was rolling in too fast so I just sat munching trail mix, watching the show.










One last posting about our painting trip to Arizona. I quickly snapped this photo during a break from the rain. I love the rich warm colors. This is still Sedona. I took a zillion photos and this is probably the only one that sort of feels like being there. I'm disappointed in my photography skills. I just can't get inspired to paint from them. Oh well, guess I'll just have to sell a few more paintings so that I can go on another fact-finding trip. I would love to paint in/near the Grand Tetons. I've never been there other than in my dreams.




















8 comments:

Beck said...

I love hearing about this trip. I'm so jealous! Wish I was there with your girls. Livin' large in the desert and sunshine. Grand Tetons would rock out loud. Only in my dreams will I be there anytime soon. I'm living vicariously thru you for now. ;-)

SamArtDog said...

Look at what happens when you get the city girl out into the desert! Clearly, it should happen more often. The value study is wonderfully understated. And to someone who thinks she can't take photographs, I say, keep shooting!

susan hong-sammons said...

Hey Beck, I think we should start planning on doing a trip together, say 2011. Thanks for stopping by. Miss seeing you out and about.

Hey SamArtDog, you made my day. I feel encourage to keep plugging away. Happy Art-making to ya!

loriann signori said...

Beautiful paintings. It is so hard to get the feel and colors of a completely new place. You did it.

Sue Dranchak said...

I'm a studio painter stuck in a rut. I know I need get out of my comfort zonw andconnect more with nature. Your blog is inspiring to me. Great Paintings! Thanks for sharing.

susan hong-sammons said...

Good Morning Loriann, Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Getting those values right on a bright sunny day was a real challenge for me. I'm so use to dark overcast weather and really like working with that type of lighting. But painting under blue blue skies was soooooooo fantastic. Oh well, off to paint in 8 degree windchill with Karen - yuck.

Hi Dranchak, I get the same way when left to my own devised to much. For me, having some solid paint buddies is important. I love being able to bounce ideas off each other and the company too.
Tried to get to you sight but it wouldn't open for me. Will try again later. happy painting

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

Breathtaking scenery Susan! I tried plein aire silk painting once and discovered that it definitely wasn't my thing - I admire you artists who so such a great job of it.

Jala Pfaff said...

Love that last, impressive photo. Wow. Makes me want to go there.
I think it's much better not to paint from photos, so maybe you should be glad you're not getting paint-able images from your camera?