Thursday, July 23, 2009

"Rushing Tide" (sold)


I'm really drawn to the abstract in nature. But what I'd like to see in the finished painting is that fine balance between abstraction and realism. In other words I don't want to give all the answers but hope the image is interesting enough/worthy enough, to merit a look that gives you the whole experience.
The ocean is so noisy. I painted this at about 5:30am and could barely hear myself think. Normally I love the early hours for the quiet peace but even though very few people were on the beach it was LOUD. I think the noise is the oceans way of saying, "Look at me and respect me. I'm more than huge. I'm gorgeous, proud, and powerful."
"Rushing Tide" Oil 6"x8" painted with a palette knife. ($145.)

7 comments:

Melinda said...

I think you've really captured the essence of the ocean in this painting. My goodness! I was here earlier and promised to come back...then, pow! You've posted this grand painting.

Oh, yes, you've got the ocean's statement here, for sure. The Atlantic ocean nearly took my life as a teen...I DO indeed respect its power.

Fantastic work!

Karen said...

WOW you got it. Your edges and paint manipulation alone say LOUD and yet natural. You always get that wonderful balance between abstraction and representation. Don't doubt that.

Roxanne Steed said...

This is a wonderful, strong piece! Really has the "essence of ocean" - that feel that you are there!!(and still hearing the crash of waves in your ears).

Honor Bradley said...

What a wonderful painting of the ocean. It captures the movement and beautiful colors. Great job

Janelle Goodwin said...

Yes, you did indeed capture the power of the ocean. I can definitely hear it. This painting draws the viewer in with masterful manipulation of textural edges and more jewel-like color.

susan hong-sammons said...

Hi Melinda, I share you're healthy respect for the ocean and hope your terrible experience hasn't kept you out of the water. Thanks for stopping by and hope you continue to.

susan hong-sammons said...

Hi Karen,Roxanne,Honor,Janelle,
I so appreciate your comments. I feel better knowing that my concept reached you all.
Isn't it great to be an artist?!!!