Saturday, June 26, 2010

Old Town cathedral


Karen Phipps and I teased we should call the paintings we did this day "Stinky" because we had to stand next to full trash cans and in the alley (the alley was Karen's idea) with "watch out for rats" signs. Needless to say we did lots of mouth breathing and fast painting. We gave ourselves one hour to paint this church because we knew the light would change fast and limiting our time helps us get down to the business of what's necessary.
I thought mine was going to be about the steeple but the painting quickly told me it was about the geometry. I really don't like to think about perspective and all it's rules. Gives me a pain between the brows. Normally I don't care if the perspective isn't perfect. But for this piece I wanted the geometry and perspective to highlight the expressiveness of the design.
(8"x6" oil $149.)





3 comments:

Jill Berry said...

Nice sunny feel!
Great focus to capture that in 1 hr. despite the rubble & threat.
Nothing prepares you for a varmit while out painting the beauties of nature! I was grossed out by one in Galveston by the water last year. I think I never told about it on my blog because of the time my mom made me rewrite a friendly letter that was predominantly yucky!

Back to the beauties of life-
Congrats on your show sales!!

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

I think you should charge extra for the adverse painting conditions! As a non-painter of buildings, I admire those who do... and to be able to do it that fast is wonderful

susan hong-sammons said...

Hi Jill,
Hello Deborah,
Thanks so much for stopping by. It's crazy what we'll do for a painting isn't it. But it was a great learning experience and I was happy with my results so "stinky" was worth it.